Amazing Piquant Lavender Yuzu Cake
This lavender yuzu cake has a soft and velvety sponge, with just the right amount of citrusy yuzu or lemon flavour and a refreshing taint of lavender scent. It’s simply amazing!
Your tastebuds will be in for a treat for sure! Made with premium lavender buds and drizzled with a luscious sweet icing to balance out the tangy and slight bitterness from the lavender buds, it’s just perfect for those who prefer a flavourful but light cake for an afternoon treat!
PIQUANT LAVENDER YUZU CAKE
This recipe makes 1 x 20cm chiffon cake.
Egg Yolks (large eggs) 4
Caster Sugar 10g (optional if using sweetened Yuzu Juice drink)
Vegetable Oil 40g
Cake Flour 90g
Yuzu / Lemon Juice 30g
Apple Cider Vinegar 2 tsp
Vanilla Extract ½ tsp
Lavender buds 2g/ 1 tbsp
Lemon zest from 1 small-medium sized lemon
Egg Whites (large egg) 4
Salt a pinch
Cream of Tartar ¼ tsp or 2 tsp lemon juice
Caster Sugar 50g
Icing Sugar 120g
Lemon / Yuzu Juice 4 tbsp
Water a little (to dilute if necessary)
Lemon zest & lavender buds to decorate
1) In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar (optional if you’re using sweetened Yuzu Juice drink), vanilla, and vegetable oil, together until combined.
2) Add Yuzu/lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, water and mix. Add lemon zest & Lavender, sift in the flour.
3) Make the meringue. Add the egg white and salt and loosen it by beating it at a low speed. Once beer foam is seen, add in cream of tartar or lemon juice and continue to beat. Then gradually add in sugar gradually over 3 times until stiff peaks are formed.
4) Use 1/3 of the meringue to mix into the yolk mixture. And then gently fold in the other 2/3s of the meringue. Making sure to turn the bowl as you fold. Stop when you don’t see any more whites and do not overfold. The batter should be thick and foamy.
5) Bake in a pre-heated oven (170 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes then lower to 160 degrees Celsius and bake for 15-20 mins. Until done.
6) Once done, remove from heat and cool the cake upside-down to prevent it from collapsing on its own weight. Once cooled, gently remove from the mould.
7) Icing: Mix icing sugar, lemon/yuzu juice together until you get a thick consistency for drizzling or coating. Sprinkle lavender & lemon zest on top of the cake to decorate (note: double the Icing recipe if you’d like a thicker coat of icing on the cake).
If you like this Lavender Yuzu cake, be sure to visit our Cake Page for more luscious cake recipes!